2011 Junior National Hereford Expo
Hereford Grill-off Recipe Winners
More than 640 youth and their families gathered at the 12th annual 2011 VitaFerm® Junior National Hereford Expo in Kansas City, Mo., July 10-16, to show and celebrate the Hereford breed. The Hereford Grill-off included participating states' assembling a team of six members and presenting a recipe to a panel of judges. The purpose of the Grill-off was to promote beef and its benefits to a healthy diet.
Download All Recipes (PDF)
Junior Division Champion
Pictured are the members of the champion junior team from the state of Kansas (front row, l to r): Marshall Fike, Westmoreland; Jordan Gatz, Leona; and Brianne Nelson, Fredonia. Back row (l to r) are: Ryan Moser, Westmoreland; Logan Marple, Westmoreland; and Justin Moser, Westmoreland.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 4 fluid ounces lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
- 2 pounds beef clod tenders, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 fresh pineapple – peeled, cored and cubed (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, light brown sugar, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, seasoned salt, garlic pepper seasoning, and lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage. Reserve about ½ cup of this marinade for basting. Place meat in a large resealable plastic bag. Cover with the remaining marinade, and seal. Refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add green peppers, and cook for 1 minute, just to blanch. Drain, and set aside.
- Preheat grill for high heat. Thread steak, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and pineapple onto skewers in an alternating fashion. Discard marinade and the bag.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook kabobs on the prepared grill for 10 minutes, or to desired doneness. Baste frequently with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
For more information on the Hereford Beef Grill-off, please contact the American Hereford Women or Amy Cowan, Junior Youth Activities Director at the American Hereford Association.